Avery Dennison Label and Packaging Materials Business Unit announced today it has received the 2011 Environmental Leadership Award from the Tag and Label Manufacturers Institute (TLMI). The award, given by the TLMI Environmental Committee, recognizes the leadership efforts of member companies that consistently demonstrate a commitment to worthy environmental practices. Avery Dennison has been honored previously with the TLMI Environmental Leadership Award in 2008.
“Our commitment to environmental responsibility has carried through to our product strategy, customer relationships and business culture,” said Darrell Hughes, vice president and general manager, Avery Dennison Label and Packaging Materials. “That promise drives us to work collaboratively to create value for our customers by developing solutions that enable the industry to be more sustainable and more competitive.”
TLMI recognized Avery Dennison for its environmental efforts, including:
• Reducing waste across the value chain through Enterprise Lean Sigma (ELS).
• Obtaining measurable environmental and economic benefits by applying Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) to products.
• Launching Avery Dennison™ Greenprint, a tool enabling complex LCA results to be translated into a user-friendly snapshot of the environmental impact of a product in different stages of its lifecycle.
• Creating low-waste, pressure-sensitive labeling and packaging products that use thinner liner and facestock materials.
• Developing new products that help reduce waste and enable recycling:
• Polyphane™ Fit from Avery Dennison is a roll-fed shrink film that allows a 50 percent shrink performance at a lower cost than sleeves; the polyolefin film material is 100-percent recyclable.
• Avery Dennison ThinStream™ materials are 40 to 60 percent thinner than other products and deliver at least 17 percent more labels per roll.
• Flexis™ steam valve, when applied to pouch packages of single-server microwavable meals, has the potential to reduce up to 90 percent of the primary packaging.
• Next Generation adhesives and facestocks are compatible with both polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and glass recycling, allowing labels to be fully removed from the packaging material during the recycling process.
• Demonstrating a commitment to rigorous environmental standards through:
• Reducing customers’ waste streams through collaboration on alternative recycling solutions for silicone-coated release liner and matrix waste.
• Implementing a corporate environmental management system that has enabled eight sites, worldwide, to meet International Organization of Standards (ISO) 14001 regulations.
Additional information on sustainability-focused initiatives and products can be found on Fasson.com.
About Avery Dennison
Avery Dennison (NYSE:AVY) helps make brands more inspiring and the world more intelligent. For more than 75 years the company has been a global leader in pressure-sensitive technology and materials, retail branding and information solutions, and organization and identification products for offices and consumers. A FORTUNE® 500 company with sales of $6.5 billion in 2010, Avery Dennison is based in Pasadena, California, and has employees in over 60 countries. For more information, visit www.averydennison.com.