FINAT, the international association for the self-adhesive label industry announces the detailed programme of its biennial technical seminar with central theme: "Self-adhesive labels and their future vs. alternative technologies - Evolution or Extinction". This year's edition, which is now open for registration, will again take place at the Fira Palace Hotel, Barcelona (Spain) from 7 - 9 March 2012.
The Technical Seminar is always a well attended and much appreciated learning and networking opportunity. It is targeted at all levels of the technical community from R&D or production to technical and operational directors in the self-adhesive label industry. This year's programme brings a well balanced mix of international speakers and topics related to the developments and trends in the technology, in changing market use, and environmental issues. The seminar provides for simultaneous translation in Spanish, German, French and Italian.
"We are pleased and take pride in being able to celebrate the 20th edition of FINAT's Technical Seminar this year," says Kurt Walker, FINAT President. "It demonstrates our members' continued need for updates on our industry that can help them in making their business stronger and more professional.
On March 9th, during the Technical Seminar, FINAT's Young Managers Club (YMC) meets for an informative session on "How to effectively communicate innovations to customers". "The Technical Seminar offers us a perfect ‘back-to-back' opportunity to bring together the incoming generation of business leaders. The Seminar itself covers the technology of the future for our sector, our session will cover another angle of business innovation," says Francesc Egea, of IPE Innovaciones Para Etiquetajes, Spain and chairman of YMC.
A fully packed Technical Seminar programme 2012
After the welcoming activities on Wednesday, the seminar starts on
Thursday, 8 March
- 09.00 – 09.10 Opening of the seminar and short FINAT introduction by Kurt Walker, FINAT President (CH)
- 09.10 – 09.15 Introduction of the seminar by Sean Duffy, Chairman FINAT Seminar Committee (F)
- 09.15 – 10.00 "The history of self-adhesive labels" Sjaak Elmendorp, Avery Dennison (NL)
- 10.00 – 10.45 "Threats & Opportunities for the self-adhesive label sector" Corey Reardon, AWA (NL)
- 11.15 – 11.45 FINAT update on regulatory affairs by Mark Macaré, FINAT (NL)
- 11.45 – 12.15 "Digital and flexo a perfect match" Jeroen Van Bauwel, Xeikon (BE)
- 12.15 – 12.45 “Polyester Films: A 'tool box' to New Product Development" Mark Dinsdale, Polyplex (UK)
- 14.30 – 15.00 "Future developments in Prepress & Platemaking" Mark Gration, York Reprographics (UK)
- 15.00 – 15.30 "Press room economics - lean developments to optimise the output from narrow web presses" Jacob Sørensen, Nilpeter (DK)
- 16.00 – 16.30 "Converting of thin liner substrates, challenges and solutions" Steve Horne, Kocher + Beck (DE)
- 16.30 – 17.00 "Brilliance on Demand"’ Enhancement of label materials with Hot & Cold Foil Stamping Trevor Hichcliffe, 3M Plc. (UK)
- 17.00 – 17.30 "UV LED curing, the future for label printing" David Johnson, Integration Technology Ltd (UK)
Friday, 9 March 2012
- 08.45 – 09.30 "Towards a common sustainability language for packaging" Rüdiger Hagedorn, Consumer Goods Forum (ES)
- 09.30 – 10.10 "Linerless Vs Traditional labelling" Ian Kendal, Reflex Labels (UK)
- 10.00– 10.30 "Biodegradable films" Andy Sweetman, Innovia Films Ltd. (UK)
- 10.30 – 11.00 "Sustainability considerations from the viewpoint of an adhesive manufacturer" Wolfgang Aufmuth, Collano Adhesives AG (CH)
- 11.30 – 12.00 "Unintended consequences – Ink Technology & Environmental footprint" Jonathan Sexton, Sun chemical (F)
- 12.00 – 12.30 "FINAT Release Liner recycling programme" Mark Macaré, FINAT (NL)
- 12.30 – 13.15 Closing keynote
For full details on the Technical Seminar 2012 go to www.finat.com