Dow Corning has unveiled its new, high-performance Syl-Off ® Release System at Labelexpo India 2014. The new system combines Dow Corning's industry-leading Syl-Off® SL 35 Release Modifier and new Syl-Off® SL 411 Coating to help customers optimize quality control and cost-effective manufacturing. Dow Corning is showcasing the new system here at stand #H41, along with the company's broad Syl-Off family of products. The company is also featuring its full line of extreme-performance labeling technologies, including pressure-sensitive (PS) silicones, pressure-sensitive adhesives (PSAs) and emulsion coatings.
"Dow Corning's new Syl-Off SL 35 Release Modifier/Syl-Off SL 411 Coating system illustrates our commitment to developing next-generation silicone technologies to help our labeling customers drive greater manufacturing performance and cost efficiencies," said Praveen Malhotra, marketing manager for Packaging, South Asia, at Dow Corning. "Like all of our Syl-Off Advantage Series products, the new system demonstrates Dow Corning's total understanding of what our customers need in order to strengthen their market position, and how we collaborate with them to create forward-looking labeling solutions."
Syl-Off SL 411 Coating, introduced here today, is a new solventless silicone release polymer technology that offers low platinum levels and optimizes high-speed performance. It provides fast cure and extremely stable release for applications involving bulk roll pressure-sensitive label stock, food packaging and industrial release papers using glassine and super-calendared kraft (SCK) substrates.
Syl-Off SL 35 Release Modifier, used together with Dow Corning's new Syl-Off SL 411 Coating, offers tightly controlled, but flexible modification of a coating's release force. It combines very low platinum levels with superior stability and shelf life to optimally balance quality control and cost savings. This new addition to Dow Corning's leading-edge Syl-Off Advantage Series improves the manufacture of pressure-sensitive label stock, single- and double-sided release papers, liners for adhesive tapes and other coatings for sticky materials.
Dow Corning developed the Syl-Off Advantage Series of solventless silicone technologies to help customers reduce exposure to variations in platinum prices without sacrificing release performance. The Syl-Off Advantage Series offers a comprehensive selection of base polymers, crosslinkers, release modifiers and catalysts - all engineered to optimize flexibility in controlling release, cure and cost.
Additionally, Dow Corning is showcasing at Labelexpo India the following high-performance solutions for the package and labeling sector:
- Syl-Off® EM 7934 and Syl-Off® EM 7935 Emulsion Coatings: These products offer low coat weights and are suitable for diverse applications, from protective films for electronics to process liners for adhesive tape manufacturing. Syl-Off EM 7934 Emulsion Coating provides superior anchorage for both in-line and off-line coating during film manufacturing processes, while Syl-Off EM 7935 Coating delivers excellent anchorage on polyester substrates for in-line production.
- Syl-Off® Q2-7785 Release Coating: This fluorosilicone product features very low release force over time, and is suitable either as a transfer coat with silicone PSAs or for direct cast applications. It is ideal for manufacturing delicate films, and withstands the rigors of coating and curing processes without compromising the characteristics of the final product. Applications include transfer films, labels, industrial tapes and double-sided tapes.
- Syl-Off® SL 9110 Coating: This low-temperature thermal cure, solventless release coating is designed for use on biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP) and polyethylene (PE) films and PE-coated kraft (PEK) substrates. It offers a flat release profile and stable release for filmic pressure-sensitive laminate/label stock and single- and double-sided industrial release films.
- Syl-Off® EM 7976 Emulsion Coating: This release coating for bakery and other food contact applications offers outstanding water repellency, low coat weight and low catalyst levels.
- Dow CorningSpecialty PSAs for High-temperature Applications: Dow Corning® Q2-7406 and Dow Corning® 7358 PSAs deliver excellent high-temperature adhesion performance up to 260°C (500°F). The Q2-7406 Adhesive is a general-purpose product suitable for splicing and plating tapes, and is compatible with food contact applications. The 7358 Adhesive provides an excellent balance of adhesion and tack, which was previously not achievable with dimethyl type silicone PSAs. Its applications include electrical insulation and bonding tape and high-temperature masking tape.
- Dow Corning® 7651 and Dow Corning® 7652 Adhesives: These platinum-cure silicone PSAs offer flexibility, increased productivity and processing cost control for easy-release protective films used in mobile device touch screens and flat-panel displays. They feature low and stable adhesion and optical transparency, and can be cleanly removed under challenging environmental and processing conditions. These adhesives are ideal for use on polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and polyimide (PI) films.
- Ultra-high-molecular-weight (UHMW) Siloxane Masterbatches from Multibase, a Dow Corning company: When added to a film's contact layer, seal layer or abuse layer, these UHMW materials migrate to the surface during the melt and provide slip to the film surface. This reduces friction against machine rollers, reduces die build-up and improves line speed and mold release during processing. These masterbatches improve scratch and wear resistance, enhance surface feel of the final product and are suitable for cast, blown, multilayer co-extrusion and oriented film.
- Dow Corning® MB50-001 and Dow Corning® MB50-801 Masterbatches are designed for use as additives in manufacturing BOPP systems.
- Dow Corning® MB50-002 and Dow Corning® MB50-802 Masterbatches are targeted for PE-compatible systems.
- Source: http://www.dowcorning.com